Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Octane Biotech, a Lonza company, known for designing, developing, manufacturing, and commercializing the Cocoon cell therapy manufacturing platform is seeking a new member for its Engineering Team. The team is focused on developing novel, innovative features for the Cocoon to increase its capabilities and keep it as the market-leading platform for patient-scale cell therapy manufacturing. As part of the design process, robust electronics and controls designed to meet regulatory compliance are imperative for the Cocoon’s Platform success in this fast growing, evolving field.
The Systems Engineer – Electronics Developer will be responsible for supporting R&D Innovation Cocoon integration activities as required for business and/or client considerations. Required areas of knowledge include: electrical hardware development and testing practices, prototyping, meeting regulatory requirements, ability to transfer designs to manufacturing, experimental design, integrated systems, eCAD work, meeting timelines, and other skills as needed.
- Work in a collaborative fashion with the engineering team to design, develop, test, and technical transfer to manufacturing electrical systems designs
- Adhere to all development principles while delivering solutions on-time and on-budget
- Project Management
- Assist with the collection of user requirement documentation
- Participate in user requirement translation to design specification, concepts, and directions
- Perform hands-on prototyping and design concept testing
- Design documentation creation and review according to quality practices, using eCAD, and applying manufacturing process knowledge
- Design & Development according to appropriate standards
- Documentation of technical pursuits and experiments as necessary within the quality system
- Document generation and review required for transfer to manufacturing, including protocols, handling practices, release testing, and criteria
- Support activities pertaining to product market-readiness including qualification activities
- Provide product support through response to issues identified in the product design
- Work together with 3rd party designers/manufacturers to achieve goals through design and prototyping
- Work with test labs to ensure acceptance of the Cocoon Instrument into the required countries/markets
- Travel to Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories (NRTL’s) to conduct or consult on compliance testing
- Must be a self-starter and able to deliver results with minimal supervision
- Other duties as assigned or determined
- Engineering Degree (Master’s in Electrical Engineering or Systems Engineering is preferred)
- Substantial experience working in electrical product design and market-readiness in a high reliability field
- Board-level and System-level electrical design
- Schematic design and capture for analog and digital functions
- Familiarity with PCB layout practices, including basics of EMC performance
- Able to perform troubleshooting and hands-on work with PCBs and electromechanical systems
- Experience with integrated systems and embedded systems
- Working knowledge of common electrical protocols such as USB, I2C, SPI, RS-232, CAN, etc.
- Knowledge of motor control and temperature sensing/control design would be an asset
- Familiarity with electrical safety standards such as IEC 61010 or 60601 would be an asset
- Strong innovation and creativity in design solutions
- Ability to work in GMP environments
- Comfort with measurement tools including oscilloscopes
- Thorough and clear documentation skills, particularly technical documentation appropriate for ISO quality management systems
- Systematic and organized workflow
- Independent task management and ability to make decisions
- Good communication skills
- Willingness to travel
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.