At BWXT Nuclear Energy Canada Inc. (BWXT NEC) we are committed to excellence in every business initiative. BWXT NEC has achieved an enviable international reputation for excellence in the supply of nuclear fuel and fuel handling systems and service for CANDU reactors in both domestic and international markets. Our success is the result of our commitment to our employees, customers, quality & EHS initiatives.
Systems Engineer – Nuclear – On site support – Port Elgin, ON Location
BWXT Nuclear Energy Canada (BWXT NEC) Fuel Handling and Engineered Solutions division is involved in the design, manufacture, development, testing and service of on-power refueling and reactor maintenance tooling sold around the world. Today, BWXT’s equipment is being used in most of the nuclear power plants in Canada. Check out the YouTube video of an innovative product we designed and manufactured in partnership with Bruce Power, called the Bruce Reactor Inspection and Maintenance System Channel Access Device. Go to YouTube and search for video: “Bruce Unveils new BRIMS Tool”. There are exceptional opportunities to learn and grow with a career in the nuclear industry in Ontario.
This is a unique role that provides support to various nuclear power station systems. The location of work will be both BWXT’s Port Elgin office and the Bruce Nuclear Generating Station in Tiverton. Typical tasks include: support ECC group located in the Peterborough office with different assignment execution, support of emergent issues at site, procurement engineering support, and execution of various systems engineering tasks. Support is typically related to automated refueling equipment (Fuel Handling), reactor channel inspection systems, or nuclear tooling. This is a dynamic assignment that requires interaction with many different stakeholder groups including design, maintenance, and operations and presents tremendous opportunity for career growth. This role requires someone who is local to the Bruce County area or who would plan on moving to the area.
- Acting as the main technical interface point to both internal (team at Peterborough) and external customers (Bruce Power stakeholders, includes Operations, Maintenance and Engineering staff). Ensure that there is alignment between the project requirements / scope and external customer (Bruce Power) expectations and facilitate interactions between teams to resolve issues.
- Stakeholder engagement at Bruce Power for various design packages ensuring design activities and Passport signoffs and approvals are completed as per the schedule/commitment dates.
- Utilize customer based Engineering Change Control (ECC) process for station modifications.
- Creation of technical requirements and design planning at appropriate project stage.
- Define and manage interfaces and scope between discipline-specific design areas (mechanical, I&C and software).
- Prepare and verify Passport entries for a wide variety of projects.
- Support the development and estimating of engineering proposals.
- Lead and participate in troubleshooting investigations to support system failures on site at Bruce Power.
- Lead customer meetings and processes including Constructability/Operability/Maintainability/Safety (COMS) and Available For Service (AFS), design challenge boards, design reviews and other customer meetings.
- Perform walkdowns for different projects.
- Prepare and verify system-level design documentation (e.g. requirements, failure analysis, V&V documentation, Requirements Traceability Matrix etc.).
- Adhere to on-time/on-budget criteria associated with project commitments and customer success.
- Perform activities related procurement engineering tasks.
- Prepare and deliver training for Bruce Power and BWXT personnel for various project.
- B.A.Sc. in Engineering.
- 2 to 5 years of experience in design engineering/engineering change control (ECC).
- Knowledge of design lifecycle activities for Bruce Power modifications.
- Experience with a broad range of interdisciplinary activities: systems design, requirements development, interface design, systems integration and test, ECC etc.
- Exposure to a broad range of interdisciplinary departments: mechanical, I&C, software design and manufacturing.
- Holds a PEO license or working towards obtaining it (EIT registration).
- Exceptional communication, presentation, coordination and technical writing skills.
- Creative problem-solving skills, outstanding analytical abilities, demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to work in a team.
- Bruce Power qualifications for procurement engineering (or equivalent qualifications at OPG).
- Knowledge about Maximo software and functions applicable to Bruce ECC.
- Orange Badge qualification at Bruce Power.
- ADE (Assigned Design Engineer) qualification at Bruce Power.
BWXT Nuclear Energy Canada Inc. embraces diversity of thought, values individuality, encourages new perspectives and provides equal opportunity in employment for all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability, a conviction for which a pardon has been granted or a record suspended or any other category protected by federal law.