SYSTEMS ENGINEER - SAFETY
Irving Shipbuilding Inc., located at 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company’s primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defense.
The System Safety Engineer will fulfill a key role in the Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) Systems Engineering Team, with a focus on the integration of rotary wing aircraft into the ship, and the systems that support aircraft operations. This position will report to the Engineering Manager – Safety and Certification, and will be required to support the development and implementation of the Safety and Environmental Program, working collaboratively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, including Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) and Regulators. Areas of knowledge and experience are required in, but not limited to:
- Aviation Facilities
- Ship/Air Interface
- Release To Service
- System Hazard Identification and Safety Control Development
- Safety and Environmental Case development
- Safety Verification & Validation techniques
- Safety at sea (Preparation for Sea Trials)
This is a full time, permanent staff role located in Halifax N.S.
- Education in a relevant Engineering/Science discipline
- A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in the following fields:
- Engineering in large and complex defense acquisition projects involving coordination between multiple organizations
- Integration of rotary wing aircraft into warships
- Establishing and maintaining positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including customers
- Excellent time management, and written and oral communication skills
- Experience in the below would be considered an asset:
- Product Safety and Product Environmental engineering for Naval equipment
- Joint Clearance For Service Use
- Release To Service (RTS)
- Application of military safety standards, e.g. Mil Std 882E, Def Stan 00-056/00-051 etc.
- Development of Safety and Environmental Cases and Safety and Environmental Case Reports
- Experience in ship construction
- Conduct all work in accordance with the Safety and Environmental Management System.
- Develop and execute the aviation integration aspects of the Safety and Environmental Program in accordance with Regulatory and Statutory requirements, and DND/RCAF Policy.
- Coordinate Joint Clearance for Service Use Certification.
- Ensure that physical and functional interfaces of all systems are identified, defined and approved via Interface Control Documents.
- Provide System Safety Engineering expertise to the development, documentation, and evaluation of deliverables related to the requirements definition, design, integration, and test of all shipborne facilities related to aviation operations.
- Provide System Safety Engineering support in evaluating Engineering Change to ensure that impacts, risks and issues related to design, integration, test, and acceptance activities are identified, communicated and recorded.
- Provide technical input to the Safety and Environmental Case.
- Provide technical expertise to Integrated Project Teams and Working Groups.
- Contribute to Hazard Identification, Analysis and Risk Assessment.
- Promote positive Safety and Environmental Culture within the Project.
- Support a culture of collaboration, enthusiasm and a proactive nature within the Project.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Be a role model for professional behavior.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision
For further details, please contact Erin Sloan at: email@example.com
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
- Travel Percentage: 25%