On behalf of our local, Public Sector Client in Vancouver, Ignite Technical Resources is seeking a Systems Operations Analyst to join their team on a Full-Time, Permanent Basis.
Reporting to the Lead, Data Centre Operations, the Systems Operations Analyst supports, manages and ensures efficient operations of the Corporate Organizational technical infrastructure systems and Data Centres (Vancouver and Kamloops). The data centres contain the application and database servers that provide computing services for Corporate, Retail, Wholesale and Distribution environments.
The Systems Operations Analyst monitors technical infrastructure systems, facilities administration, data backup management, process automation and future capacity planning & design.
Position links include:
- Network Analysts- to provide expertise regarding infrastructure system issues and resolutions.
- Client Computing Analyst- to provide expertise regarding infrastructure system issues and resolutions.
- Support Centre Analysts – to provide expertise regarding infrastructure system issues and resolutions.
- Co-op Students/Consultants- to provide guidance to co-op students and consultants
The Systems Operations Analyst plays a key role in automated systems management including developing, scripting and coding operational processes and documenting procedures and develops and maintains the procedures necessary for branch wide operational support. This position also maintains a centralized automated operational management resolution system and associated processes.
- Supports data centres network systems, printers, and communications devices
- Monitors operational equipment status and data centre facilities
- Monitors system backups in keeping with established schedules
- Maintains security within the data centres
- Processes requests for ad hoc business applications computing programs
- Receives and logs user requests and ensures proper completion of request documents
- Verifies job dependency and operation requirements
- Schedules computing programs, monitors execution, verifies results, and returns or confirms results to requestor
- Processes computer run programs
- Submits or releases programs as per schedule, monitors execution, and verifies results
- Identifies failures, applies corrective action as specified by production documentation, recovers and reruns as required, completes Problem Action Reports documenting failures and actions taken
- Prints, bursts, decollates hardcopy output
- Liaises with call centre, supervisor, application development staff, and technical services staff to provide information concerning infrastructure system failures
- Adjusts planned business application schedules on a day-to-day basis to meet short-term needs, and ensures that users are consulted and notified
- Supports computer operations and monitors status of data archives
- Organizes and initializes tapes, and backs up, restores, and archives data as per schedule
- Provides day-to-day network infrastructure, Linux/Unix, Windows and WAN/LAN support to facilitate day-to-day operating requirements
- Maintains schedule and job dependency information using production scheduling software
- Maintains and updates system checklists and logs
- Logs and distributes print jobs
- Operates printers and peripheral equipment
- Monitors network equipment accessibility and verifies network connectivity via predefined scripts
- Maintains and amends production documentation as required
- Provide KPM (Key Performance Metrics) on various systems (network, server, backups, tickets, and etc…)
- Performs project work
- Completes small projects, or components of large projects, under the guidance of the Team Lead, Network and Operations (e.g. investigating use of Orion Solarwinds automated message replies; creating inventory of standard work requests and processes for receiving/executing them; creating a schematic for power distribution in computer room)
Education and Experience
- IT Certificate Program / Diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 2 years of recent* and relevant experience in a customer service related technical position including experience assessing situations, judging the complexity of issues and initiating the appropriate course of action
*Recent, related experience must include
- Resolving and troubleshooting complex technical problems for both hardware and software systems
- Experience in WAN/LAN technologies
- Experience in Business Systems scheduling e.g.CA Autosys and $U ORSPY
- Experience in multiple OS technologies e.g. Microsoft and Linux
- Experience in Backup technology e.g. TSM, vRanger and VEEAM
Preference may be given to those candidates with:
- Work and understand networking principles including TCP/IP, DNS, WINS, DHCP and security policies
- Experience with Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) and Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)
- Experience gathering metrics and producing reports
- Working knowledge of “retail systems”
- Understanding of Data Centre technologies such as Racks, Power Distribution Units, HVAC, UPS systems, etc.
- Understanding of Virtual Servers and other virtual systems such as Citrix and VMWare
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license
- Work schedule may include evenings, weekends & overnights, rotating between job sites.
- Travel, including occasional overnight travel may be required to support a variety of locations
- Transportation or movement, as well as carrying of equipment may be required
Due to the volume of resumes, only those candidates being considered will be contacted.
Ignite Technical Resources is a Vancouver-based Information Technology resourcing firm built around three principles: speed, efficiency and quality. We provide highly trained and qualified technical consultants to your organization as a flexible work force option. Our consultants will help you through workload fluctuations and can manage outsourced projects of any size.
We’re wired for people.