Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The role will be located at 700 Wellington, Suite 2000, Montreal, QC, H3C 3S4 and is a full-time role.
Technology works as a strategic partner with Morgan Stanley business units and the world's leading technology companies to redefine how we do business in ever more global, complex, and dynamic financial markets. Morgan Stanley's sizeable investment in technology results in quantitative trading systems, cutting-edge modeling and simulation software, comprehensive risk and security systems, and robust client-relationship capabilities, plus the worldwide infrastructure that forms the backbone of these systems and tools. Our insights, our applications and infrastructure give a competitive edge to clients' businesses—and to our own.
Morgan Stanley is seeking an experienced candidate to join the Technology Business Development (TechBD) group as an Associate for Cloud & Infrastructure (which includes PaaS/IaaS, Compute, Storage, Networking, Telco, Data center, Semiconductors) with responsibility for supporting strategic business relationships between the various technology organizations, the vendor community, and the front office of the Firm’s business.
TechBD is responsible for supporting the entire 'Technology Relationship Value Chain' of the Firm, ensuring all the capabilities of the technology organizations are harnessed to deliver value to the respective TMT business franchises.
The successful candidate will report to the Sector Lead, while collaborating with other Sector teams within TechBD.
The Technology Business Development associate will support the creation of win-win relationships between the various technology organizations and the business divisions of the bank. The role entails significant elements of relationship development and strategy development.
In particular the primary elements of the role include:
Strategy and Insight Development
- Analyze market, industry, and technology trends and provide recommendations to internal and external clients based on findings. This includes: IT, Investment Banking, Venture Capital, Institutional Investors, and Equity Research.
- Scout vendor solutions from large incumbents and small start-ups, matching innovative solutions with the problems that MS IT is trying to solve. Provide thoughtful technical analysis with a focus on gaining context to enable informed decision making within IT. This includes recommending vendors for RFPs and participating in vendor selection by providing business analysis.
- Collect, filter, consolidate, and articulate insights from internal IT executives and architects to enrich your findings and develop a consolidated landscape of MS IT’s views of your technology sector.
- Create collateral for company profiles, communication strategy, M&A ideation, enterprise IT knowledge shares, vendor landscapes, IT strategy summaries, investment proposals.
- Build strong relationships with internal and external players and ensure appropriate relationships are in place with senior leadership. Create communication strategy for MS IT executives.
- Coordinate escalation of issues (contractual or operational) with vendors, ensuring suitable senior executives at the client and the vendor are involved as appropriate.
- Help vendors navigate the IT organization and analyze best opportunities keeping in mind the complex relationships that exist across the Firm.
- Assist with the development of partnerships (old and new) to provide opportunities for growth at Morgan Stanley
- Develop best practices to foster, manage, and track opportunities.
- Build business cases to accelerate the evolution of MS IT’s legacy infrastructure stack into a modern architecture. Propose how utilizing cloud-native public and private cloud PaaS offerings can save money, generate revenue, and reduce risk for the Firm. Highlight technical and business challenges of moving applications to the modern architecture and methods of smoothing this transition.
- Ensure client meeting requests are appropriate scheduled, suitable participants are available, agendas are agreed, and all parties are appropriately briefed.
- Ensure all logistics for external events are coordinated, and executed within agreed budgets.
- Deep understanding of cloud, compute, storage, networking, data centers and semiconductors. Awareness of industry trends and key vendors. (5+ years in the industry)
- 5+ years of technical experience in the field of Enterprise IT or at a Technology Vendor.
- 2+ years working with front office Banking groups (i.e. Investment Banking)
- 2+ years of technology market research experience.
- 2+ years’ experience with public cloud PaaS offerings and experience building cloud-native applications.
- 3+ years of experience with different telecom, cloud, and storage vendor product portfolios, and condensing large amounts of technical information into concise action orientated digests.
- 2+ years’ experience working on RFP(s), proposal documents.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively to gain respect and influence senior management and external executives (ex: clients, partners, business leaders, peers, executives, etc.)
- Strong communication skills with ability to react quickly in high-intensity, difficult situations involving internal and external executives. Ability to communicate complex issues to stakeholders
- Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time, comfortable with dealing with and challenging ambiguity
- Strong PowerPoint and story-telling skills
- Excellent written English skills
- Engineering degree required (Computer Science or Electrical Engineering preferred) with MBA degree preferred
Salary and Benefits:
Salary offered: $95,000 – 105,000 per year
Benefits offered: A corporate medical, dental and life insurance as well as short-term and long-term disability insurance plans, 4 weeks of vacation per year, 6% RRSP matching up to an annual cap of $8,000.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximize their full potential.