Seeking a Technical Manager in the greater Toronto area to contribute to project teams for a prominent Ontario utility company. The Technology Manager validates the technology architecture and ensures a quality technical solution. The Technology Manage will also be responsible for managing the tech team and coordinating the activities of the work effort (planning, scheduling, estimating, budget management, mentoring). The Technical Manager will work with the utility personnel and consultants to manage application enhancement including design changes and coordinating the development of application changes to meet business needs. This involves meeting with key stakeholders to determine the goals of the organization, developing as-is, to-be and gap analysis. The Technical Manager should possess outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
The Technology Manager responsibilities include:
- Drives strategic and architectural direction for technology solutions and defines/enforces architecture standards
- Ensures efficient and effective delivery of IT services
- Defines application, data, and enterprise technology architecture and manages platform lifecycles
- Plan the delivery of respective enterprise applications by engaging Project Managers to develop project plans
- Coordinates with Application Development team (or third parties) and ensure they are achieving outcomes on-time and on-budget
- Manage application development resources (Business Analysts, Developers, Testers)
- Become aware and involved with other IT initiatives to identify potential issues ad impediments
- Consults on SDLC environment requirements and implementation (Dev, Test, QA, PROD, etc.)
- Communicates across team
- Define testing needs and develop testing processes, tools and capabilities
- Manage the IT budget and report on IT performance to the Project Management team
- Expert understanding of software development process, conversion, migration, testing
- Technical mindset with experience managing multiple large programs / projects
- Experience in the Utilities industry
- A minimum of 5 years of experience managing large IT initiatives
- 4+ years experience of leading application development projects
The Technology Manager shall:
- Communicate clearly the project objectives, scope, policies, procedures, status and other Program/project issues to the project team.
- Develop and maintain a strong trusting relationship with the client and peers
- Maintain a detailed workplan and assess measurable value for work performed (e.g. Earned Value)
- Ensure that the deliverables created by the project team provide quality, add value, and contribute to the business’ success.
- Provide effective management to ensure successful project completion, e.g., risk and quality management.
- Use project management practices, adhering to the policies and procedures instituted by the PMO to effectively plan and accomplish the work.
- Provide the Program Manager and the PMO with timely baseline change requests.
- Obtain and train project team members.
- Request the necessary resource(s), such as equipment, facilities, etc., to support the project.