TEST AND TRIALS SPECIALIST - Combat Systems
Irving Shipbuilding, located at 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company's primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defense and the Canadian Coast Guard. The company's commitment to health, safety and care for its employees and the environment is an integral part of its business.
This is a permanent full time staff role based in Halifax, NS.
Test and Trials Specialist - Combat Systems
The successful candidate will have the responsibilities below, specific to one of the following areas of subject matter expertise:
- Propulsion Systems (Mechanical)
- HVAC (Electrical)
- Electrical (440V and below)
- Hull and Deck
- Education Required: Bachelor’s Degree engineering (P Eng or equivalent) or relevant technical diploma at the technologist level (eg: Marine, Electrical, Mechanical Engineering). Experience in the design and/or operation of medium voltage diesel electric propulsion systems would also be an advantage
- 2-5 years’ experience in one or more of the following;
- Seagoing Naval engineering experience
- Commissioning of high tech systems in process or power plants
- Design of state of the art new build ships or marine structures
- Commissioning of new build vessels in a commercial shipyard
- Must have strong knowledge of/experience work with at least one of the areas of subject matter expertise listed above
- Strong communication skills in English, both verbal and written
- Willingness to work long/flexible hours
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word and Excel)
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Work closely with Production and Quality Control staff to ensure efficient handover of systems and equipment
- Work as part of the Test & Trials team to commission systems and equipment and demonstrate compliance with Classification Society and Customer requirements including:
- Development of Set to Work/Testing/Trials procedures/agendas
- Operation of ship systems and execution of test procedures, both ashore and at sea
- Reporting of test and trial agenda results to demonstrate that requirements have been met
- Developing and managing detailed test and trials schedules for assigned area of responsibility
- Coordinate setting of conditions necessary to support third-party / Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) conduct of trials & provide liaison support for their trials
- Managing compliance with Lock-out/Tag-out systems’ requirements
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision.
For further details, please contact Tracey MacCharles at:
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.