We are a global team of dedicated and experienced architects, engineers, planners, designers and technology professionals who share a common desire to help our clients create livable, sustainable, and advanced urban environments.
From high-rises to industrial buildings, schools to state-of-the-art hospitals, transit stations to highways, airports to toll systems, bike lanes to parks, we design every aspect of a truly integrated city for people to live, work, and play.
Our collaborative and combined approach focuses not only on creating the best solutions today, but also determining the right solutions for tomorrow. We believe cities in the future must be designed with intelligent systems, sustainable buildings, efficient infrastructure, and a human touch.
At IBI, were defining the cities of tomorrow.
Integrity We do what is right.
Partnerships We work together.
Excellence We pursue design excellence.
Innovation We embrace ingenuity.
Community We build community.
IBI Group's Vancouver office is looking for Tunnel Ventilation engineers to join their growing team. The successful candidate will report directly to the Tunnel Ventilation Lead, and will be assisting in all aspects of Fire Ventilation System design, review, modelling, reporting, and testing. Experience with Fire Ventilation Systems within the transit sector, and the related codes and standards,as well as working knowledge of fire modelling software and CFD simulations is a must.
Most of the things youll work on:
- Design development, design review, and sizing of fire ventilation and life safety systems within underground and/or enclosed transit infrastructure
- Development of plans and specifications, and perform design calculations, for the design of fire ventilation systems which meet project requirements and all applicable/governing codes and standards
- Create CFD models for fire/smoke simulations and smoke dispersion analysis; Post-process, analyze, summarize, and report on CFD simulation results
- Preparation of technical reports, which may include topics such as feasibility studies, design criteria, concept designs, and CFD simulations
- Coordination meetings and discussions with various disciplines and/or clients; Build good relationships with clients and various stakeholders, maintaining regular industry liaison
- Perform project management tasks and responsibilities to track and forecast project progress, schedule, and deliverables
- Assist in preparation of proposal and bid stage documents, and business development activities
- Provide support at all stages of fire ventilation design, from reference, concept, preliminary, and final design plans, to specifications, estimates, and equipment selection
- Efforts made to stay current with latest changes and updates within fire ventilation design codes, standards, best practices, and innovations; Expand existing knowledge and research within fire ventilation discipline through reading and/or contributing to engineering publications such as journals and articles, and through attendance of symposiums and conferences
- Maintain membership in good standing with relevant professional institutions related to your designation(s)
- Assist in mentoring and reviewing of work from other tunnel ventilation engineers
You'll need to have:
- Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering (preferably major in Thermodynamics)
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in the design, modeling, and analysis of fire ventilation systems for underground or enclosed transit system infrastructure, or equivalent experience
- Registered, or eligible for registration, as a Professional Engineer
- Experience with applicable regulations, codes, and standards relating to fire ventilation design and testing (ex. NFPA, SFPE, ASHRAE)
- Fundamental technical engineering knowledge
- Numerical modeling capabilities
- Experience in HVAC, fire protection, building code, train control, and power distribution systems is desired
- Experience working in a consulting engineering environment is preferred
- Working knowledge of Fire Dynamics Simulator (FDS)
- Working knowledge of Subway Environment Simulation (SES) is an asset
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD and Revit is desired; MicroStation is an asset
- Strong analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Able to work alone or within a team environment under minimum supervision
- Time management skills; Able to prioritize tasks, estimate task durations, and adapt to changes to meet submission deadlines
- Basic project management skills to understand and achieve quality, cost and timeline goals
- Able to establish and maintain good business relations with vendors and project stakeholders
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
The office is located in the heart of downtown Vancouver overlooking the beautiful and scenic Coal Harbour. An abundance of amenities like: restaurants, cafes, a pharmacy, and so much more seconds away from the office. Quite accessible by public transit, bike, and by car.
IBI Group provides a competitive benefit package and pays association dues and licensing fees.
As part of IBI Group's selection process, candidates may be requested to consent to background checks relevant to the role under consideration for, prior to receiving a job offer. These could include: work references, education and credential confirmation, employment verification, identity check, credit report, criminal offence and drivers license record. #ibi
We requestapplicants submitRESUMEhighlighting relevant work experience; please limit PDF files to10MB.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. IBI Group is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.