VICE PRESIDENT, FINANCE
Located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada’s shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited family of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited family of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in the world.
Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 23 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada’s National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history.
This year, we will deliver the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years. And we’re just getting started.
We’re growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada’s shipbuilding industry and provide Canada’s sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada’s interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants.
We have built more than 80% of Canada’s current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Reporting to the President, Irving Shipbuilding, the Vice President of Finance is a critical, full-time, permanent position holding a strategic role within Irving Shipbuilding.
This is a permanent full-time staff role based in Halifax NS.
Qualifications, Experience and Education:
- A professional accounting designation (CA, CMA or equivalent) and a relevant post-secondary degree in Accounting or Finance combined with 10+ years of senior financial leadership experience as a CFO for a shipbuilding or defence organization.
- Extensive experience overseeing financial performance of government-funded defence programs, including negotiating and setting rates for direct and overhead activities.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, confidence and executive presence with the ability to engage and motivate staff.
- Excellent analytical, reasoning, problem-solving, communication, presentation and English language skills.
- A successful track record and expertise in identifying and driving value in an organization, as well as a reputation for being a trusted business advisor who is a strategic and creative thinker.
- The ability to present financial analytics in a clear and concise manner and you are highly capable of assisting with complex negotiations.
- A proven track record of increasing customer and shareholder value; excellent analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills; results oriented with a continuous improvement mindset and the ability to prioritize and deliver on key initiatives.
The role encompasses the following Key Responsibilities:
- Serve as the senior financial person and strategic business partner to senior executive leadership team.
- Assess and evaluate financial performance of organization with regard to long-term operational goals, budgets and forecasts. Provide insight and recommendations to both short-term and long-term growth plan of organization.
- Create and establish yearly financial objectives that align with the company’s plan for growth and expansion.
- Participate in pivotal decisions as they relate to strategic initiatives and operational models.
- Prepare and present monthly financial budgeting reports
- Review and ensure application of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures.
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding, located at 3099 Barrington Street, Halifax, Nova B3K 5M7 Scotia is proud to offer a dynamic and exciting work environment where you will thrive and be constantly challenged to make us better. A competitive compensation package, including base salary, short- and long-term incentive, and benefits, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision will be provided.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
We appreciate your interest in our company! Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information on the role, please contact Jenna MacDonald at:
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.