How many of these are true about you?
- A teacher or instructor
- A camp counsellor or leader
- A recent grad from science, tech, math, engineering, or the arts
- A maker or tech lover
- An actor, performer, and life of the party
- Looking for work in a growing field and company
- Interested in new, socially-responsible ways of doing business
- A cool person that kids, parents, and coworkers are gonna love to be around
If most or all of that sounds like you, we want you to come and join us at MakerKids – a fun and growing company where you can ignite children's potential.
MakerKids develops maker learning programs for kids, and runs camps and after-school programs on Coding, Robotics and Minecraft. We inspire kids to see their futures as inventors, entrepreneurs, and innovators. We provide amazing interest-driven STEM programs to help kids move from being consumers to creators. We've been featured in major media such as Wired, CTV and the Globe and Mail, and have spoken at SXSW, Maker Faire, MakerCon, and more.
Maker programs are gaining steam. Demand for our programs is growing fast and that means we need to find and train awesome instructors to serve an enthusiastic and growing fan base. Your job will be to lead MakerKids programming online – after school programs, camps, trial classes, private classes, and more. Program content includes Robotics, Coding and Minecraft.
Learning the Role
You don't have to have the full range of technical skills that kids will need for their projects. However, experience with Scratch, Microbit, Tinkercad, Arduino and Minecraft are considered an asset. Other MakerKids staff will initially be present during classes to teach specific skills. You can learn along with the kids! What we want to see from you is the Maker spirit – a love of learning and proven ability to pick up skills. Prior to teaching classes, you'll teach alongside other staff as a MakerKids Instructor in Training. After that, you will lead classes and events as a MakerKids Instructor.
This position will start part-time with 3 to 30 hours per week (depending on your availability and our need). Work hours are flexible, but consistent week to week. This position will start off remotely and may transition to in person requiring travel to 1661 Bayview Ave, Toronto, Ontario.
- You're a creative and energetic person who likes working with kids and exploring new ideas
- You have experience leading kids in an experiential learning setting such as school, summer camp, museum interpretation, outdoor adventure, Montessori
- Preferred if you are a teacher, an Early Childhood Educator, have teaching or camp experience
- You have excellent communication skills, written and oral, and experience communicating with children and their families
- You're a Maker, with interest and experience designing and creating things, e.g. coding, electronics, robotics, Minecraft, crafting or some other way you entertain yourself and others with your creativity
- You're comfortable using electronics, computer software, hardware and various other technologies – or very willing to learn and teach yourself
- You have experience using video conferencing software and have a computer equipped with webcam
How to Apply
Our online application will give you the option to apply to this role as a complete candidate – not just a resume. The application will assess your qualifications, personality traits and workplace preferences, and should take 10 to 15 minutes to complete. We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.