GHD is one of the world’s leading professional services companies operating in the global markets of water, energy and resources, environment, property and buildings, and transportation.
Privately owned by our people, GHD provides engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services to private and public sector clients across five continents. Focused on creating lasting community benefit, our connected global network of 10,000 people delivers projects with high standards of safety, quality and ethics. Committed to sustainable development, GHD improves the physical, natural and social environments of the many communities in which we operate.
Our Edmonton, Alberta office is seeking an Intermediate Waste Management Engineer/Scientist ready to join one of our fastest growing Canadian Operations.
You would join our North American waste management group of 115 professionals. GHD has a strong mentorship program and you will be working a diverse team in the solid waste group. Professional development opportunities through the GHD Business School including internal global technical conferences and external training are available and participation in relevant industry associations is supported and encouraged.
Working for GHD includes a competitive benefits package including RRSP matching, MSP premiums, commuter incentive, wellness reimbursement, and P.Eng. (or other professional designation) dues reimbursement.
This position is a great opportunity to be part of an established solid waste practice in western Canada with a bright future ahead. We are seeking a technically strong waste management engineer/scientist to grow into a leader within our team.
- Lead and manage solid waste projects on time and on budget for clients requiring permitting, operations support, detailed design, construction management and inspection, and environmental monitoring and studies
- Contribute to the design landfills, transfer stations, composting facilities, waste-to-energy facilities and anaerobic digestion facilities
- Compliance environmental monitoring and reporting for solid waste facilities
- Prepare technical reports and complete peer reviews of designs completed by others in the Waste Management Group
- Coordinate technical resources and personnel including drafters, 3D designers, GIS and database technicians, chemists, geotechnical engineers, hydrologists, hydrogeologists, biologists, and planners to complete solid waste facility designs and plans
- Effectively communicate and connect with existing and prospective clients
- Complete quantity take-offs and cost estimates
- Develop and administer construction contract documents
- Conduct quality assurance construction inspections and chair construction progress meetings
- Experience working with multi-discipline engineering team (i.e. civil, structural, electrical, process, etc.) projects
- Complete regulatory conformance reviews
- Develop studies and designs to support permitting applications under the direction of a senior solid waste engineer
- Participate in liaison with regulators
- Provide mentorship and leadership to junior technical staff
- Provide internal leadership contribute to the growth and direction of the Canadian Waste Management Team
- Contribute to proposal preparation
- Civil or environmental engineer or scientist (other disciplines will be considered with relevant experience)
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- 5 to 10 years of experience in the waste management industry
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a consulting role will be considered asset
- Valid class 5 driver’s license with driving record in good standing
- Willingness and ability for overnight travel and to conduct field work, as required
- Proficiency in MS Office, Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint
- Knowledge of AutoCAD and Civil3D. Proficiency in Surfer, PCSWMM, HELP will be considered an asset
- Knowledge of material recycling, composting and organics management technologies and regulations will be an asset
- Experience developing design, operations and closure plans for waste management and other industrial facilities
Knowledge of the Western Canada waste management regulatory regime including, but not limited to, the Environmental Management Act, The Standards for Landfills in Alberta, Hazardous Waste Regulations, Contaminated Sites Regulation.
We offer a professional working environment and culture and believe that work/life balance contributes to the success and happiness of our people. We also offer competitive salary packages based on qualifications, skills and experience.
As a multicultural organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, GHD will provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.