Becoming a Team Member at Formet means joining a company offering competitive wages and benefits, employee recognition programs, as well as industry training, internal transfer and promotion opportunities. Team Members take pride producing high-quality automotive parts that help our customers make safe, efficient vehicles.
Formet is one of the largest manufacturing employers in Southwestern Ontario producing body and chassis components for assembly plants across North America. Our 1.1 million square foot facility features industry-leading hydroforming, roll-forming, hot-stamping, robotic assembly and post-assembly coating processes. At Formet, we take care of each other and live by the motto "One Team. One Formet."
This position is responsible for ensuring Formet and Customer quality requirements are met by identifying and providing input to resolve welding concerns. They will cover for the Team Leader in his/her absence.
- Perform all duties and promote themselves in a manner that reflects Formet Expectations and Formet's Visions/Values through Magna's Employee Charter.
- Follow and abide by all government, Legal, Magna and Formet rules and regulations.
- Contribute to continuous improvement and cost reduction activities.
- Support the WEC's on new and existing programs.
- Generating and upkeep of the Weld Set up Instructions, Weld Inspection Records and Weld Length records.
- Support Buy offs when required.
- Keep the product cleaned up in quarantine.
- Buy off of the First-Off / Mid-Off processes, and set up verifications to ensure it is being done correctly.
- Initiate and coordinate problem reports and containments.
- Establish, maintain and implement welding parameters to support production and Quality Assurance.
- Conducts weld inspection and analyze weld data, generate reports.
- Assist with Robotic weld touchups.
- Archiving and maintaining Paxit system.
- Be dedicated to generating and or assisting in PPAP packages when required.
- Maintain a sound understanding of customers' product and engineering specifications.
- Participate as a team member with effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Participate in problem solving activities.
- Participate in Product, System and Process Audits as required.
- Audit and approve Special Material Requests and reworked material when required.
- Assist in the training of production personnel in all quality requirements when required.
- Attend and or Champion quality meetings when requested.
- Take initiative to follow through on completion of tasks / projects, PMR's and CIP's.
- Provide support to all Departments for weld related issues.
- Cover for the Team/Area Leader and / or other Technicians if he/she is absent.
- Demonstrate a sense of urgency to achieve results.
- Perform other duties as designated.
Knowledge and Education
- Post-secondary education - completion of Welding Technologist/Technician Course from a Community or recognized college consisting of two years or more.
- Some experience with manual Gas Metal Arc Welding.
- Practical experience with industrial robots.
Skills and Competencies
- Organizational skills.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Communication skills.
- Computer skills.
- Problem solving.
- Business Operating System.
- Quality System.
- Customer Specific Requirements.
- Welding Metallurgy.
- Basic GD&T.
- Fundamental NDE techniques.
- GMAW, Projection and Resistant Welding.
- Basic TS 16949.
- Measuring equipment (micrometers, calipers, indicators and height gauges).
- Work well in a team environment or individually.
- AIAG Core Tools.
- Problem Reporting System.
- Office and Manufacturing Environments
- Able to work shift work.
- Able to be flexible in hours of work in order to meet internal/external customer requirements (scheduled and non-scheduled overtime shifts, etc.)
- Overtime after 40 hours per week.
- Shift premiums of $0.75/hr (afternoons) and $1.25/hr (nights)
- 2 weeks of paid vacation (3 weeks after 3 years) + 3 Personal Paid Holidays (PPH) + 2 half days.
- Medical and Dental Coverage.
- Plant wide Incentive Program - based on a number of factors, all members of our team receive an Incentive Bonus, if requirements are met.
- Subsidized Cafeteria.
- Work boot, safety glasses and custom molded earplug allowances.
- Weekly pay via direct deposit.
- Company paid uniforms (if you choose to use).
- Company paid life insurance and AD&D coverage.
- Magna Profit Sharing.
- Matched GRRSP.
- Educational Assistance program.
- Barbecues and Children's Christmas Party.
- Roger's cell phone plan available to Formet Team Members - $40.00 / month
- Employee discounts (new vehicle, amusement parks etc.)
Accommodations for disabilities in relation to the job selection process are available upon request.