The duties will encompass responsibility for safely performing the basic tasks required to maintain and repair the track and railcar components associated to a class 2 railway in a safe and timely manner for the Sydney Coal Railway (SCR), and Rail Centre at Sydney Nova Scotia. These duties will encompass, however are not limited to – physical maintenance aspects, task associated with direct interactions with International pier, and associated power generation plants, Posting and completing work orders within the company specific computer data base, accurate completion of all required documentation (Regulator and Internal), and the basic understanding of industrial mobile equipment and track equipment operation.
- Willingness to properly wear all required Personal Protect Equipment as deem necessary by labour standards and Savage
- Thorough understanding of CROR Protection of Track Units and Track Work
- Qualified in the ability for the inspect of rail and perform regulatory inspections
- Basic understanding of the mechanical and electrical components Maintenance of Way equipment
- Basic understanding of the mechanical and electrical components of industrial mobile equipment
- Work individually and as a team
- Complete daily safety inspection of equipment and facilities to ensure safe operations
- Complete daily or/as needed train reporting documentation
- Competent interaction with rail traffic controllers
- Competent, professional, courteous, and safe interaction with shop and train crew personnel related to maintenance and train movements
- Perform routine clean-up, housekeeping, and maintenance of facilities, equipment
- Complete all training as identified as mandatory for regulatory compliance, as well as company associated course and training assigned by the Savage. Training sessions may involve in-house, on line. Training may be conducted locally or on occasion - out of province offsite training
- Operate a variety of Maintenance of Way equipment
- Perform other tasks as instructed, including track, railcar, locomotive, and heavy equipment maintenance and operation when required
- Must be 18 years of age or older and pass pre-employment screening.
- CROR (Canadian Railway Operation Rules) rules qualified preferred.
- Must be able to safely perform the essential functions of the job without posing a direct threat to the safety of his or her own self, or the safety of others
- Must be able to work with a team, take direction from supervisors(s), adhere to required work schedules, focus attention on details, and follow work rules
- Ability to read, write, and understand English, follow written and/or verbal instruction, and possess basic math and computer skills
- Must be able to re-certify in all required periodic qualification certification
- Must be willing to work any shift, including weekends, holidays and overtime as needed
- Must be willing to follow all policies and procedures as outlined by Savage
- Wear required Savage uniform
- Maintain a professional neat and tidy appearance
- Clean shaven for the purposes of respirator and/or dust mask proper fit, and annual fit test
- Ability to follow written and/or verbal instructions with minimal supervision
- Ability to pass a skills test on the type of work performing
- Dependability in attendance required
- Ability to work holidays and weekends as needed
- Ability to work rotating shift schedule and overtime when needed
- Mechanically inclined, and willingness to undertake equipment and facility maintenance task
- High School or GED
- 2-5 years of experience preferred but not required
Must have the ability to perform the essential physical functions of the position:
- Work in an environment containing coal dust, hazardous noise, confined space, and in hot or cold environments
- Work at heights , climbing stairs, and climbing ladders
- Walk on uneven ground
- Walk up to 3 miles per shift
- Must be able to pass a fit test and pulmonary function test for the purposes of wearing a respirator and recertify annually or as needed;
- Lift up to 50 pounds frequently
With more than 70 years’ experience in hundreds of locations across North America and internationally, Savage is a trusted partner for safely moving and managing mission-critical materials with worry-free consistency while creating value for our Customers. Savage specializes in rail, truck and marine transportation, logistics, materials handling and other industrial and environmental services. We Hire Right, Train Right and Treat Right, and strive to provide our Team Members with opportunities to do things they never dreamed possible.
Savage offers competitive benefits that include: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long term disability, a retirement plan, paid time off and opportunities for growth.
Savage is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug free workplace.